Warrior's role, skills and traits.
Warrior's are one of two tanks currently available in FFXIV, the other is Paladin. The Warrior's job in a group setting, is to get the enemy to attack you, instead of attacking the rest of the group, whilst mitigating as much damage as possible.
Warrior's excel at having the highest HP pool, some good self heals, the best enmity generation against single and multiple targets, and good DPS to boot. The Paladin has better damage mitigation, stuns and some useful debuffs like pacification and blind.
There is no X tank job is better than the other. They both excel in their own ways and while Warrior might be better suited for one fight, Paladin may be better for another.
-Warrior skills~ (Marauder skills included) Hover over the action name to see its stats.
CD= Cooldown(In seconds).
Lvl 1- http://xivdb.com/?skill/31/Heavy-Swing
- The is your combo starting action. Nothing special here other than opening up your main attacks.
Lvl 2- http://xivdb.com/?skill/32/Foresight
- Very good defensive cooldown and should be used either before i big trash pull or before the boss uses big moves.
Lvl 4- http://xivdb.com/?skill/35/Skull-Sunder
- This is part of your hate building combo. Heavy Swing > Skull Sunder > Butcher's Block.
Lvl 6- http://xivdb.com/?skill/33/Fracture
- This should only be used during longer fights, like bosses.
Lvl 8- http://xivdb.com/?skill/34/Bloodbath
- Great self healing ability, especially if there is a couple of adds. It will drain HP from them all if used along with Overpower or Steel Cyclone. This also stacks with Inner beast for an even bigger self heal.
Lvl 10- http://xivdb.com/?skill/39/Brutal-Swing
- Brutal swing is a reliable stun and is not on the normal global cooldown. So if you use an action then need to use stun, as soon as your animation from the 1st action finishes you can hit Brutal swing.
Lvl 12- http://xivdb.com/?skill/41/Overpower
- This should only be used when fighting multiple enemies at the same time. This should keep hate alone on all the mobs if spammed, although you will run out of TP fast using this. Using this in combination with Flash is always a good idea.
Lvl 15- http://xivdb.com/?skill/46/Tomahawk
- Your only ranged attack and also increases enmity. I always use this as my starter when engaging a boss.
Lvl 18- http://xivdb.com/?skill/37/Maim
- This is part of your DPS increasing combo and your self healing combo. Heavy Swing > Maim > Storm's Eye (DPS). Heavy Swing > Maim > Storm's Path (Self heal)
Lvl 22- http://xivdb.com/?skill/38/Berserk
- Nice DPS boost. Try using alongside other high damaging actions.
Lvl 26- http://xivdb.com/?skill/36/Mercy-Stroke
- I just macro this action into Heavy Swing, to make sure its used every time the mob drops below 20% HP.
Lvl 30- http://xivdb.com/?skill/47/Butcher%27s-Block
- Your best enmity action you will get. This is the 3rd part of your hate building combo. Heavy Swing > Skull Sunder > Butcher's Block.
Lvl 30- http://xivdb.com/?skill/48/Defiance
- If you are tanking, then this should be activated the whole time.
Lvl 34- http://xivdb.com/?skill/40/Thrill-of-Battle
- Nice self heal, good for trash pulls.
Lvl 35- http://xivdb.com/?skill/49/Inner-Beast
- Your best self heal. The harder you hit, the more HP you will get from this.
Lvl 38- http://xivdb.com/?skill/42/Storm%27s-Path
- A small self heal. May be better to just stick with your hate building combo and DPS combo during boss fights. Heavy Swing > Maim > Storm's Path
Lvl 40- http://xivdb.com/?skill/50/Unchained
- Will parse its uses. Will update at a later time.
Lvl 42- http://xivdb.com/?skill/43/Holmgang
- Not very useful at all. If the mobs attention is on you, then it wont be moving away much. If the enemy goes for a healer then you have probably lost hate and need to use Provoke instead.
Lvl 45- http://xivdb.com/?skill/51/Steel-Cyclone
- Powerful AOE attack, works wonders for when plumes spawn on Garuda. Also very good on trash pulls.
Lvl 46- http://xivdb.com/?skill/44/Vengeance
- Nice DPS boost, especially if used on trash pulls.
Lvl 50- http://xivdb.com/?skill/45/Storm%27s-Eye
- Another nice DPS boost. This is part of your DPS boosting combo. Heavy Swing > Maim > Storm's Eye
Lvl 50- http://xivdb.com/?skill/52/Infuriate
- See the tanking tips and tricks section for more on this.
-Warrior traits from Marauder~
Lvl 8- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90012/Enhanced-Vitality
Lvl 14- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90015/Enhanced-Foresight
Lvl 16- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90013/Enhanced-Vitality-II
Lvl 20- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90014/Bloodshower
Lvl 24- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90016/Enhanced-Vitality-III
Lvl 28- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90021/Enhanced-Fracture
Lvl 32- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90019/Enhanced-Brutal-Swing
Lvl 36- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90018/Enhanced-Berserk
Lvl 40- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90020/Enhanced-Mercy-Stroke
Lvl 44- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90022/Enhanced-Thrill-of-Battle
Lvl 48- http://xivdb.com/?skill/90017/Enhanced-Maim
-Cross class skills~
Lvl 4- http://xivdb.com/?skill/11/Savage-Blade
- Never equip this, worthless.
Lvl 8- http://xivdb.com/?skill/14/Flash
- Extremely helpful for tanking, will allow you to AOE tank much easier.
Lvl 10- http://xivdb.com/?skill/12/Convalescence
- Nice tanking cooldown for some extra healing.
Lvl 22- http://xivdb.com/?skill/18/Provoke
- I would say every Warrior should at least get Gladiator to 22 for this action. Its usefulness in most fights is zero, but can sometimes be the difference between your party wiping or not. More on this in the tanking tips and tricks section.
Lvl 34- http://xivdb.com/?skill/13/Awareness
- Nice defensive cooldown.
Lvl 4- http://xivdb.com/?skill/55/Featherfoot
- Decent defensive cooldown. If you have every cross class action, i would skip this tho.
Lvl 8- http://xivdb.com/?skill/57/Second-Wind
- Good self heal.
Lvl 10- http://xivdb.com/?skill/58/Haymaker
- It could be useful if you was dodging often, but against most bosses you will not be.
Lvl 12- http://xivdb.com/?skill/59/Internal-Release
- Great DPS boosting cooldown. I highly recommend leveling Pugilist to 12 for this.
Lvl 42- http://xivdb.com/?skill/65/Mantra
- Could be useful, i feel there is better actions to put in its place tho. Edited, Sep 22nd 2013 11:09am by Warby