Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Things we'd be talking about if the forum wasn't deadFollow

#4377 Nov 02 2017 at 7:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Friar Bijou wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
I imagine that, at age 80, you fall asleep during a lot of things.
On a slightly related note...did you stop posting for 7-10 days or am I hallucinating?

I don't think it was that long but I've been posting less just because there's less forum traffic. That and spending my twilight forum hours in the same tired political song and dance is less attractive than, you know, virtually anything else.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4378 Nov 02 2017 at 7:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Friar Bijou wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
I imagine that, at age 80, you fall asleep during a lot of things.
On a slightly related note...did you stop posting for 7-10 days or am I hallucinating?

I don't think it was that long but I've been posting less just because there's less forum traffic. That and spending my twilight forum hours in the same tired political song and dance is less attractive than, you know, virtually anything else.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4379 Nov 02 2017 at 7:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Friar Bijou wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
I imagine that, at age 80, you fall asleep during a lot of things.
On a slightly related note...did you stop posting for 7-10 days or am I hallucinating?

I don't think it was that long but I've been posting less just because there's less forum traffic. That and spending my twilight forum hours in the same tired political song and dance is less attractive than, you know, virtually anything else.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4380 Nov 02 2017 at 8:48 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,982 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
I'm not aware of a single event in the last several decades where a group of neo-***** showed up (to someone else's event) and started breaking stuff, and burning stuff, and attacking people, because they hated the people who were engaged in some kind of political/social speech.
I'm aware of a Neo-Nazi in the last few years that showed up to someone else's event exercising their First Amendment and killed about ten people for no other reason than the color of their skin.


One mentally unhinged guy, unaffiliated with any organization at all, hardly qualifies as "a group of neo-*****".

Crazy people grasp onto all sorts of reasons to justify their actions. Because... crazy.

Quote:
But I understand why you don't remember that.


I do remember that. I also remember the difference between one person acting on his own and a group operating on some sort of larger agenda. Do you?

Quote:
He as white, and you have very selective memory.


Which is interesting coming from someone who has chosen to focus solely on one aspect of that shooting which kinda, sorta, matches the subject we're discussing, while ignoring the host of ways in which it does not. You're being incredibly "selective" yourself.

I'm talking about the planned organized actions of groups of people as part of a larger socio-political movement. And you chose as your best example, one nutty guy acting on his own? That's somewhat par for the course with you, I guess.


Quote:
I actually find it kind of strange that you're against people saying they want to kill people and not the person who is wearing a symbol that literally represent the indiscriminate murder of millions of people. But then I always find it weird when people defend Nazis.


Many people display symbols. Most of them don't understand the meaning of them other than they think they are cool, make them seem tough, smart, mean, anti-<something>, whatever. Go walk around a college campus sometime and see the students sporting Che Guevara t-shirts, and talking about peace and equality and whatnot.

I'm not "defending *****". In exactly the same way I'm not defending violent murder by dismissing the threat represented by the afore-mentioned t-shirt wearers. They're just idiots. And yeah, they have the right to wear whatever symbol they want, no matter what it means historically, or what they think it means.

Actually saying "we should kill <insert group here> is a real threat. What's really strange is that you seem to view things the other way around.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#4381 Nov 02 2017 at 8:49 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,982 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
I'm not aware of a single event in the last several decades where a group of neo-***** showed up (to someone else's event) and started breaking stuff, and burning stuff, and attacking people, because they hated the people who were engaged in some kind of political/social speech.
I'm aware of a Neo-Nazi in the last few years that showed up to someone else's event exercising their First Amendment and killed about ten people for no other reason than the color of their skin.


One mentally unhinged guy, unaffiliated with any organization at all, hardly qualifies as "a group of neo-*****".

Crazy people grasp onto all sorts of reasons to justify their actions. Because... crazy.

Quote:
But I understand why you don't remember that.


I do remember that. I also remember the difference between one person acting on his own and a group operating on some sort of larger agenda. Do you?

Quote:
He as white, and you have very selective memory.


Which is interesting coming from someone who has chosen to focus solely on one aspect of that shooting which kinda, sorta, matches the subject we're discussing, while ignoring the host of ways in which it does not. You're being incredibly "selective" yourself.

I'm talking about the planned organized actions of groups of people as part of a larger socio-political movement. And you chose as your best example, one nutty guy acting on his own? That's somewhat par for the course with you, I guess.


Quote:
I actually find it kind of strange that you're against people saying they want to kill people and not the person who is wearing a symbol that literally represent the indiscriminate murder of millions of people. But then I always find it weird when people defend Nazis.


Many people display symbols. Most of them don't understand the meaning of them other than they think they are cool, make them seem tough, smart, mean, anti-<something>, whatever. Go walk around a college campus sometime and see the students sporting Che Guevara t-shirts, and talking about peace and equality and whatnot.

I'm not "defending *****". In exactly the same way I'm not defending violent murder by dismissing the threat represented by the afore-mentioned t-shirt wearers. They're just idiots. And yeah, they have the right to wear whatever symbol they want, no matter what it means historically, or what they think it means.

Actually saying "we should kill <insert group here> is a real threat. What's really strange is that you seem to view things the other way around.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#4382 Nov 03 2017 at 7:55 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,826 posts
Jophiel wrote:
That and spending my twilight forum hours in the same tired political song and dance is less attractive than, you know, virtually anything else.
Killing time is it's own reward.
gbaji wrote:
One mentally unhinged guy, unaffiliated with any organization at all, hardly qualifies as "a group of neo-*****".
When it's a white person who actually did affiliate themselves with the white supremacist movement and actually murdered a room full of people you're awful quick to jump to the "bad apple" rhetoric, aren't you? Yet when a group of black people just talk about killing well, they're just all absolutely the worst?
gbaji wrote:
And you chose as your best example, one nutty guy acting on his own?
So what percentage of white supremicists and neo-Nazis are good apples to you? You can't make the bad apple argument without conceding you also believe there are good apples.
gbaji wrote:
That's somewhat par for the course with you, I guess.
My being right? At least we agree on that.
gbaji wrote:
Many people display symbols.
As funny as your trying to diminish the swastika to "just any ol' symbol" the people that do wear them aren't doing it to bring back Sanskrit.
gbaji wrote:
Most of them don't understand
Sure, there are people that think swastikas are actually minimalist pinwheels.
gbaji wrote:
Go walk around a college campus sometime and see the students sporting Che Guevara t-shirts, and talking about peace and equality and whatnot.
You could make the argument that they're not taught anything about Che Guevara in school so the ignorance is (somewhat) understandable. The only people ignorant about swastikas are people that are willingly ignoring what it represents.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not "defending *****".
Of course you're "not."
gbaji wrote:
Actually saying "we should kill <insert group here> is a real threat.
Why is it a real threat when black people do it, yet when a group of white people who affiliate themselves with actual real terrorist groups it's just that they're exercising their right to speak, and when their members actually act on it they're suddenly and coincidentally mentally unhinged and weren't associated with them afterall!
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4383 Nov 03 2017 at 8:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Also the terrible forum software and servers make posting here a chore these days.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4385 Nov 03 2017 at 8:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,405 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Also the terrible forum software and servers make posting here a chore these days.


That is so false! These days, you put in the same amount of work, and you get twice the posts!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#4386 Nov 03 2017 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,826 posts
It's like a government job.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4387 Nov 03 2017 at 8:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,400 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Also the terrible forum software and servers make posting here a chore these days.
You say that, but every time you get up the will to post you do it twice, so it can't be all bad.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#4388 Nov 05 2017 at 2:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,405 posts
Another day, another mass shooting.

CNN Link
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#4389 Nov 05 2017 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,440 posts
It's ok everybody, it was a white guy with a gun. Nothing to see here.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#4390 Nov 05 2017 at 8:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Doctored photos of his Facebook page saying that he was Antifa, communist, etc going around. Just like all the fake stories going around right after Vegas. The only thing that terrifies the Alt-Right more than a brown Muslim mass murderer is people learning about a white Christian mass murderer.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4391 Nov 05 2017 at 9:42 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,440 posts
Oh yeah. Muslims are old hat. Antifa and "leftists" are the shiny new boogey man. Can't wait to see how that plays out.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#4392 Nov 06 2017 at 8:23 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,826 posts
Who could have possibly foreseen someone who was court-martialed and discharged from the military for beating his wife and kid could shoot a room full of people?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4393 Nov 06 2017 at 5:27 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,915 posts
WE were losing our edge on mass shootings, but Trump made America great again.
#4394 Nov 06 2017 at 7:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,264 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Who could have possibly foreseen someone who was court-martialed and discharged from the military for beating his wife and kid could shoot a room full of people?


To me it is just kinda odd. A trained professional could not go higher than poker playing accountant. And then he got chased away ( sorry, tactically retreated ), because it was TX so everyone was packing. It tells me that standards in the army are falling.
____________________________
Your soul was made of fists.

Jar the Sam
#4395 Nov 07 2017 at 8:21 AM Rating: Good
******
49,826 posts
angrymnk wrote:
It tells me that standards in the army are falling.
The standards fell between 2002 and 2014.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4396 Nov 07 2017 at 10:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
Who could have possibly foreseen someone who was court-martialed and discharged from the military for beating his wife and kid could shoot a room full of people?

No one. Now, if you were to tell me he might beat a room full of people, sure. But shoot them? Impossible.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4398 Nov 07 2017 at 11:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,400 posts
Jophiel wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Who could have possibly foreseen someone who was court-martialed and discharged from the military for beating his wife and kid could shoot a room full of people?

No one. Now, if you were to tell me he might beat a room full of people, sure. But shoot them? Impossible.
I would have put my money on something DUI related personally. It's a popular choice.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#4399 Nov 07 2017 at 12:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,440 posts
Because some guy stumbled in after the fact and fired off rounds of his own, everyone with a gun is a hero now, and the casualties of the event would have been in the hundreds, thousands, even millions if there were tougher guns laws.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#4400 Nov 07 2017 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
******
49,826 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Impossible.
Domestic violence is the leading cause of gun violence, and the going motive is the guy was fighting with his in-laws so I'd certainly put the odds at better than impossible.

But since there wasn't enough dead bodies it's political to talk about, so a moment of silence is more than enough.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4401 Nov 07 2017 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,264 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Impossible.
Domestic violence is the leading cause of gun violence, and the going motive is the guy was fighting with his in-laws so I'd certainly put the odds at better than impossible.

But since there wasn't enough dead bodies it's political to talk about, so a moment of silence is more than enough.


Men are the leading cause of violence. Is it a good time to discuss neutering? Maybe even some sort of lae against violence.

Also, I did notice that Sellick's hope and prayer joke entered mainstream.
____________________________
Your soul was made of fists.

Jar the Sam
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)