Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

I'm fairly sure I'll regret asking, but...Follow

#1 Dec 01 2016 at 8:25 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,546 posts
WTF is pizzagate?
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#2 Dec 01 2016 at 8:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Smiley: confused
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3 Dec 01 2016 at 8:44 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,546 posts
Saw it pop into my Twitter timeline, but never saw it explained.

So I just googled it, and needless to say, some people are fucking imbeciles.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#4 Dec 01 2016 at 9:27 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,736 posts
Someone ate pizza with a knife and fork and the interwebs freaked out?
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#5 Dec 01 2016 at 10:57 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,861 posts
alt-right forced fake news about comet pizza have some sort of child *** trafficking scheme. Probably tying in with Clinton and other left leaning people or Jews at some point, I didn't bother to see how. They left blacks and muslims out of it for some reason.
#7 Dec 02 2016 at 9:01 AM Rating: Good
******
49,168 posts
Demea wrote:
some people are fucking imbeciles.
Well that's not news.

But yeah, fake story that's been circulating en masse for some reason. Like how Jill Stein got arrested for embezzling campaign money for drugs.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8 Dec 02 2016 at 9:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,127 posts
Idiots gonna id.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#9 Dec 02 2016 at 9:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,538 posts
It's the gate you pass on your way to meet his Noodliness in the afterlife.
#10 Dec 02 2016 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,312 posts
Demea wrote:
WTF is pizzagate?

It was a weekend a couple years back where a bunch of us GamerGate folks drew battle lines and fought to the death over pineapple on pizza.

Oh, you meant that other, stupider thing.
#11 Dec 02 2016 at 3:56 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,312 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
fake story that's been circulating en masse for some reason.
It had actually been a thing on Twitter for a couple weeks before it became a "story". I'm pretty sure someone ********** it until others started taking it seriously. Overlapped with Spirit Cooking for a while, not sure if that part got picked up with it.
#12 Dec 02 2016 at 4:18 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,709 posts
Demea wrote:
Saw it pop into my Twitter timeline, but never saw it explained.

So I just googled it, and needless to say, some people are fucking imbeciles.


I find it particularly amusing that the article specifically describes 4chan as a trolling site, then proceeds to treat the conspiracy they made up as if it was totally serious. Um... Yeah.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#13 Dec 02 2016 at 7:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,127 posts
My favorite part is that this criminal ring supposedly operates out of the basement of a building that has no basement.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#14 Dec 02 2016 at 8:50 PM Rating: Good
***
3,025 posts
Worst part is how they have to beef up security at concerts, due to the fake news story.
____________________________
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair! -ElneClare

This Post is written in Elnese, If it was an actual Post, it would make sense.
#15 Dec 02 2016 at 11:23 PM Rating: Good
***
1,021 posts
Samira wrote:
My favorite part is that this criminal ring supposedly operates out of the basement of a building that has no basement.


TFW your cover story is several tons of concrete foundation. #PizzaGate #TFW #PaedoUnderground #NoncesAmongUs #TheConspiracy #BasementsWithoutBorders #Antidisestablishmentarianism #GbajiSlippingOnABanana
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#16 Dec 03 2016 at 12:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,154 posts
Did they check to see if the pedophile satanist jews were trapped in the concrete foundation, cask of amontillado style?

Why isn't the media reporting on this???

Edited, Dec 3rd 2016 1:42am by Timelordwho
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#17 Dec 03 2016 at 8:08 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,312 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Did they check to see if the pedophile satanist jews were trapped in the concrete foundation, cask of amontillado style?

Why isn't the media reporting on this???
Tweet your question at Alex Jones. I'm sure he'll check on it for you.
#18 Dec 03 2016 at 4:04 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,517 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Demea wrote:
WTF is pizzagate?

It was a weekend a couple years back where a bunch of us GamerGate folks drew battle lines and fought to the death over pineapple on pizza.

Oh, you meant that other, stupider thing.


Pineapple on pizza is perfectly acceptable as long it pairs well with the other toppings. Grilled chicken, ham, bacon, and pineapple works pretty well together. Anyone that disagrees can meet me in the cage for our fight to the death tomorrow afternoon.
#19 Dec 04 2016 at 7:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,127 posts
Well, someone took it seriously, apparently.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#20 Dec 05 2016 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
******
49,168 posts
Samira wrote:
WP wrote:
Even Michael Flynn, a retired general whom President-elect Donald Trump has tapped to advise him on national security, shared stories about another anti-Clinton conspiracy theory involving pedophilia.
Ha.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#21 Dec 05 2016 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,312 posts
Turin wrote:
Pineapple on pizza is perfectly acceptable as long it pairs well with the other toppings. Grilled chicken, ham, bacon, and pineapple works pretty well together. Anyone that disagrees can meet me in the cage for our fight to the death tomorrow afternoon.
We did that fight two years ago.

Pineapple lost.
#22 Dec 05 2016 at 5:52 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,517 posts
Time for a rematch then.
#23 Dec 05 2016 at 9:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Pineapple pairs great with green olives.

If a bunch of MRAs don't like it, that's just more for me Smiley: smile
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#24 Dec 06 2016 at 8:16 AM Rating: Good
******
49,168 posts
Well, its acceptable.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Dec 06 2016 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,312 posts
Green olives? What kind of monster are you?
#26 Dec 06 2016 at 11:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Wendigo?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#27 Dec 06 2016 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
******
49,168 posts
I don't think you're so awful as to suggest you're Canadian.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#28 Dec 06 2016 at 1:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,135 posts
Pineapple + Jalapeño Peppers.

Everything else is a lie.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#29 Dec 06 2016 at 4:59 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,709 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Samira wrote:
WP wrote:
Even Michael Flynn, a retired general whom President-elect Donald Trump has tapped to advise him on national security, shared stories about another anti-Clinton conspiracy theory involving pedophilia.
Ha.


I'm assuming you're laughing about how a real news site is just as willing to make spurious and inflammatory associations as the fake sites.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#30 Dec 06 2016 at 6:49 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,861 posts
I'm not sure exactly what you mean Gbaji. If you're saying Michael Flynn (himself, apparently he has a junior as well) didn't share an anti-clinton conspiracy theory involving pedophilia, then you're wrong.
#31 Dec 06 2016 at 7:11 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,135 posts
Allegory wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean Gbaji. If you're saying Michael Flynn (himself, apparently he has a junior as well) didn't share an anti-clinton conspiracy theory involving pedophilia, then you're wrong.
gbaji wrote:
You just keep tossing out facts like they mean something.

____________________________
Anna wrote:
People often say that if someone doesn't agree then, they don't understand their point. That's not true. Sometimes they don't agree with it.
#32 Dec 06 2016 at 7:15 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,709 posts
Allegory wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean Gbaji. If you're saying Michael Flynn (himself, apparently he has a junior as well) didn't share an anti-clinton conspiracy theory involving pedophilia, then you're wrong.


His comments did not have anything at all to do with the Pizzagate theory though. So one might wonder why his name was mentioned in an article about Pizzagate, except to connect him by association and implication. Which, you know, is the same kind of technique the fake news sites use. He pointed to an article about the emails on Wiener's laptop. The references to child abuse were about what's-his-name with the plane and the island and actual conviction for such things. The Pizzagate theory didn't appear anywhere (and was utterly made up and had no actual connection to the Podesta emails except in someone's fevered troll brain), until several days after he made that tweet. So unless he had a time machine, he was in no way connected to, nor referencing, nor giving any weight to, Pizzagate.

Part of the reason why these fake news stories work so well is because our real news sites use a lot of the same tactics to spread information. They avoid fact checking like it's the freaking plague, preferring to be first to break a big story over making sure that the story is true nearly every time. As a result, the media consumers have gotten used to poorly worded statements, vague sources cited, and broad allegations repeated in their news. Because that's exactly what the legitimate guys do. They use it as a CYA, so they can claim after the fact that they didn't actually say that X did Y, thus just mentioned X in a story about Y, and if the readers mistakenly came to that conclusion, well... that's not our fault, right?

The fact is that they know very well which "fake" conclusions people will arrive at when they do this, and in many cases, they write stories in this manner specifically to create a false conclusion in a way they can plausibly deny. Which makes their "real" news look pretty much identical to the "fake" news. I'm also still incredibly amused that it seems as though most of this conspiracy theory has been spread, not by the fake news sites, but the real ones. Not a whole lot of people knew about or cared about Pizzagate, outside of a small set of folks who were largely in on the joke from the start. It was only when legitimate news agencies started reporting on it (once again, with the same vague sounding language that actually has helped spread the theory rather than debunk it), that it's really taken off.

The fastest way to stop the spread of this kind of theory is to ignore it. But that doesn't sell a lot of papers (or clicks).
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#33 Dec 06 2016 at 7:21 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,709 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
Allegory wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean Gbaji. If you're saying Michael Flynn (himself, apparently he has a junior as well) didn't share an anti-clinton conspiracy theory involving pedophilia, then you're wrong.
gbaji wrote:
You just keep tossing out facts like they mean something.



Yup. Surely you can see that no amount of proving the "fact" that Flynn tweeted about subject A, connects him to subject B. Right? Yes. It's an absolute fact that he referenced allegations about the Clinton's connections to a child molester. I'm at a loss how this somehow translates into him spreading a false rumor made up about the Clintons several days later involving a pizza parlor. A fact isn't the same as an argument. Which is what I was talking about back then. And it's a point you still seem to have not figured out.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#34 Dec 06 2016 at 7:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,127 posts
Flynn Sr. did link Clinton with alleged criminal behavior, and (possibly a point of confusion) his son absolutely did spread Pizzagate rumors about her. His son was also involved in the transition team at the time.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#35 Dec 06 2016 at 10:07 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,709 posts
Samira wrote:
Flynn Sr. did link Clinton with alleged criminal behavior...


But not related to Pizzagate. It's not his fault that there are so many different allegations of illegal behavior by the Clinton's to choose from that it may be confusing sometimes.


Quote:
... and (possibly a point of confusion) his son absolutely did spread Pizzagate rumors about her. His son was also involved in the transition team at the time.


Yeah. I chalk that up to his son defending his father's tweet, and perhaps not realizing that the specific Pizzagate claim was different than what his father had initially tweeted about. Given the same tweet mentions "#PodestaEmails and the many "coincidences" tied to it.", it seems reasonable to assume he was just lumping multiple things into one message and may even not have known the details of the Pizzagate claim at the time, other than that this was something people were claiming his father had said (falsely). He may have made the quite reasonable assumption that people were talking about something his father had actually said and not something else entirely.

Of course, it's entirely possible that he really is a conspiracy theory nut. But probably not. The first time I'd even heard of Pizzagate was in this thread. And given the initial responses here, I was not the only one. So I'm going to go with "Had no clue what it was, and mistakenly assumed it was a legitimate reference to something his father had said".
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#36 Dec 06 2016 at 11:01 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,021 posts
Oh, you chalk it up, do you? I'll ******* chalk you up one of these days I swear to god.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#37 Dec 06 2016 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,861 posts
gbaji wrote:
It's not his fault that there are so many different allegations of illegal behavior by the Clinton's to choose from that it may be confusing sometimes.

As an alleger, it is specifically his fault.
#38 Dec 07 2016 at 7:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,127 posts
It is his fault, and the fault of people like him, that they choose to keep alleging criminal behavior when none has been shown to exist. It is deliberate character assassination.

Ironically, if they stuck to demonstrable facts, they'd have plenty of ammunition to use. But the demonstrable facts are not simple, easy sound bites, and they don't trust their audience to follow a more complex story (with good reason, as it turns out).

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#39 Dec 07 2016 at 8:45 AM Rating: Good
******
49,168 posts
gbaji wrote:
Of course, it's entirely possible that he really is a conspiracy theory nut. But probably not.
Sure, the guy who insisted that there are hundreds of cases of Sharia Law replacing the country's judicial system, that the Clintons are involved in child sex trafficking, and Obama laundered money for Muslim terrorists is probably not a conspiracy theorist.

My favorite has been the one where the UN is creating a global church where Christianity is going to be forbidden.

Edited, Dec 7th 2016 9:45am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#40 Dec 07 2016 at 2:07 PM Rating: Good
***
3,025 posts
Sorry for the length of the post, but since this article from the NY Times is behind a firewall, I'm going to copy and paste it here in whole. I put in bold sections that I feel are important. Actually I think the whole article is important and sorry that the photos of the Tweets are show with the copy and paste.

While I don't have much money coming in right now, I feel paying for access to both the NY Times and Washington Post worth it right now. I wish I could also afford to Pay for The Guardian, due to their coverage of politics in America and how it effects the world.

Quote:

Trump Adviser Has Pushed Clinton Conspiracy Theories

By MATTHEW ROSENBERGDEC. 5, 2016
Continue reading the main story
Share This Page

Share
Tweet
Email
More
Save

Photo
Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn at Trump Tower in Manhattan last month. Credit Sam Hodgson for The New York Times

WASHINGTON — For Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, who is President-elect Donald J. Trump’s choice for national security adviser, pushing conspiracy theories about Hillary Clinton is a family affair: Both he and his son, Michael G. Flynn, have used social media to spread fake news stories linking Mrs. Clinton to underage *** rings and other serious crimes, backed by no evidence.

The Twitter habits of both men are attracting renewed attention after a man fired a rifle on Sunday inside Comet Ping Pong, a Washington pizza restaurant that was the subject of false stories during the campaign tying it and the Clinton campaign to a child *** trafficking ring.

Well before he joined the Trump campaign, the elder Mr. Flynn, 57, a former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, pushed unsubstantiated claims about Islamic law’s spreading in the United States and about the attack on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya. But in his emergence this year as the angry former general out to help Mr. Trump clean up Washington, Mr. Flynn added wild stories about Hillary Clinton to his stock of unproven tales.

Six days before the election, for instance, Mr. Flynn posted on Twitter a fake news story that claimed the police and prosecutors in New York had found evidence linking Mrs. Clinton and much of her senior campaign staff to pedophilia, money laundering, perjury and other felonies.

“U decide,” Mr. Flynn wrote in the Twitter message on Nov. 2, though it appeared there was little doubt what he thought.

The views Mr. Flynn has aired on social media, including messages that many viewed as crossing the line into Islamophobia, and his willingness to spread fake news stories had already prompted questions about his fitness to be Mr. Trump’s national security adviser.


But the gunfire on Sunday was a violent turn in the debate about how fake news is reshaping the United States, and it cast a spotlight on those like Mr. Flynn who actively spread false stories about Mrs. Clinton.

The hoax about the child *** trafficking ring began spreading shortly before the election, and the restaurant, its employees and nearby businesses soon found themselves subjected to threats and harassment because of it, despite a complete absence of evidence.

Then on Sunday, Edgar M. Welch, 28, of Salisbury, N.C., went to Comet Ping Pong in northwestern Washington armed with a rifle. The police said he told them later that he had gone to the restaurant to “self-investigate” the *** trafficking hoax.
Photo
The police surrounded Comet Ping Pong, the pizza restaurant that was the subject of a fake news story, after a man with an assault rifle entered the restaurant in Washington on Sunday. Credit Jim Lo Scalzo/European Pressphoto Agency

Mr. Welch’s violent reaction to the hoax did not appear to faze the younger Mr. Flynn: On Sunday, hours after the gunfire, he went on Twitter to say that until “Pizzagate” was proved false, it remained a story.

Michael G. Flynn, 33, is more than just a relative of an incoming senior administration official. In recent years, he has served as the chief of staff to his father, who started a private intelligence and consulting business, the Flynn Intel Group, after being forced to retire from the military in 2014.

Throughout the campaign, Michael G. Flynn served as a gatekeeper for his father, and he now appears to have a job with the Trump transition team. Email sent to an address at the Flynn Intel Group returned with an automated response that provided a new email contact for both Flynns, and each had a Trump transition email address that ended with .gov.

The main difference in the son’s Twitter feed is that he appears to have shown even less restraint than his father when it comes to spreading conspiracy theories about Mrs. Clinton and her campaign.

He used Twitter to spread others’ suggestions that Mrs. Clinton and President Obama were “at the center” of the conflict in Syria and profiting from it and that both would be tried for treason if Mr. Trump was elected. He shared a fake news story that claimed hackers had found video evidence that President Bill Clinton had raped a teenage girl.

And in a Twitter message that he deleted after CNN found it in November, he questioned what was wrong with dating websites that were only for white people, saying black Americans have BET, a television network that caters largely to black viewers.

Since Sunday’s gunfire at Comet Ping Pong, Michael G. Flynn has also continued to retweet messages that say the news media has sought to normalize pedophilia.


His father, in contrast, has kept a lower profile since the election. He has not given interviews — he did not respond to requests for comment on Monday — and he has kept his Twitter postings relatively tame, publishing patriotic messages on Veterans Day and more recently praising Mr. Trump’s selection of Gen. James N. Mattis, a retired Marine, as defense secretary.

His role as national security adviser calls for mediating the conflicting views of cabinet secretaries and agencies, and sifting fact from speculation and rumor to help the new president decide how the United States should react to international crises.

It is a role that is likely to take on outsize importance for Mr. Trump, who has no experience in defense or foreign policy issues and has a habit of making broad assertions that are not based in fact.

Mr. Flynn, though, has shown similar inclinations both on Twitter and in regular life. His sometimes dubious assertions became so familiar to subordinates at the Defense Intelligence Agency that they came up with a name for the phenomenon: They called them “Flynn facts.”


Follow Matthew Rosenberg on Twitter @AllMattNYT.

Get politics and Washington news updates via Facebook, Twitter and in the Morning Briefing newsletter.

A version of this article appears in print on December 6, 2016, on page A15 of the New York edition with the headline: Security Adviser and Son Share Penchant for Spreading False Stories About Clinton. Order Reprints| Today's Paper|Subscribe
____________________________
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair! -ElneClare

This Post is written in Elnese, If it was an actual Post, it would make sense.
#41 Dec 07 2016 at 2:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,127 posts
It's the new Satanic panic!

Hooray for social media. Hip, hip. Hooray.


ETA: I have no idea what's up with that link. /shrug






Edited, Dec 7th 2016 5:14pm by Samira
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#42 Dec 07 2016 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,242 posts
Samira wrote:
It's the new Satanic panic!

Hooray for social media. Hip, hip. Hooray.


ETA: I have no idea what's up with that link. /shrug


You needed the http:// is all
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#43 Dec 07 2016 at 5:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Quote:
You needed the http:// is all

Forum noobs, am I right?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#44 Dec 07 2016 at 7:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,127 posts
Well, I'll be damned. Thanks, Professor.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#45 Dec 08 2016 at 7:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,242 posts
You'll be damned, but Winky will be in charge of your soul, so it's gonna be okay. Relatively speaking.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#46 Dec 08 2016 at 8:32 AM Rating: Good
******
49,168 posts
Samira wrote:
Hooray for social media.
At least Flynn Jr lost his transition team position over it.

Might just head to Brooklyn for a slice of that gourmet satanic pedophile pizza.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#47 Dec 08 2016 at 8:18 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,709 posts
Samira wrote:
It is his fault, and the fault of people like him, that they choose to keep alleging criminal behavior when none has been shown to exist. It is deliberate character assassination.

Ironically, if they stuck to demonstrable facts, they'd have plenty of ammunition to use. But the demonstrable facts are not simple, easy sound bites, and they don't trust their audience to follow a more complex story (with good reason, as it turns out).


You're kinda doing the same thing the fake news folks do though. Expanding and contracting pronouns in order to create tenuous connections and then build on them. You're lumping "him" (specifically general Flynn) with "people like him" (which presumably includes a circular definition of who is "like" him based on the starting assumption of "spreading unfounded rumors". You could just as easily replace your own name (or anyone's name) for "him" in that statement, and it would have the same validity. Adding any one person to a group of "people who spread rumors" will result in a group of people who spread rumors. It's a nonsense statement.

You then expand further from my statement (which was specific only to general Flynn) to include "they" (who are "they"?) and how if they only stuck to demonstrable facts, things would be fine. Again though, since "they" inherently contains people who *don't* stick to demonstrable fact, you're creating the very condition you're complaining about in the first place.

Stick to just what he said and did. In this case, he tweeted a link to an article about the NY police investigating the contents of the emails found on Abedin's laptop, and their decision to bring what they found to the attention of the FBi (which, you know, they did, and which the FBI director made a point of informing congress about). Now, we can certainly question the validity of the source he linked to, and some of the clearly speculative aspects of the information contained within. But the broad facts, and the timing of when he sent out the tweet, are entirely about a very new story coming out, about which few details were known. Should he have waited for more established news sites to run with the story? Maybe. But then again, some of us on the Right have seen a marked reluctance for established news sites to run stories that allege anything negative about politicians and other powerful people on the Left.


I think most sane people interpret such tweets as the equivalent of saying "There's this new story brewing. Don't know how much is true or not, but folks might want to keep an eye on it because it might be important" (and given the actual text in his tweet, this seems to be exactly what he was trying to say). I would never assume that merely linking to a story on the web is the equivalent of saying that every single thing said in the story is absolute truth. Honestly, part of the problem with this is with twitter as a whole. It's not a great medium for doing much other than referencing other things with a very short comment attached. Which isn't great for communication.


It's not like folks on all sides don't do the same thing either. I'm reasonably certain that had Clinton won, we could find lots of examples of people on her staff having tweeted or posted all sorts of information and links to sources that were questionable at best, and outright lies in some cases. I think the biggest difference is that it's unlikely that we would be talking about it, and almost certain that it would get very little media coverage. No one would be talking about "fake news" and how it helped Clinton win. And that itself tells you something about the state of our media industry.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#48 Dec 08 2016 at 8:37 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,861 posts
That's quite a lot of words to say why you don't think it's fair to group someone who alleges Clinton involvement with child *** trafficking with other people who biologically related and allege Clinton involvement with child *** trafficking.

It's not surprising, but it does appear you have a greater issue with Flynn being called out spreading lies rather than him for lying.
Gbaji wrote:
I'm reasonably certain that had Clinton won

You do this a lot, and you get called out for it some times, but I'll do so again. Imagining your opponents are hypocrites in a hypothetical scenario and then admonishing them for being hypocrites in imagination land is exceptionally deluded. If you're going to criticize people, do it for things they've actually done, not for things you wish they would do to prove your contingent point.

Edited, Dec 8th 2016 8:43pm by Allegory
#49 Dec 09 2016 at 8:50 AM Rating: Good
******
49,168 posts
gbaji wrote:
Stick to just what he said and did.
He spread a story with zero verifiable information he found on an alt-right webpage that has been regularly shown to be full of crap. The only reason to do that is either he believed the story or believed the lie would cause damage to his opponent. Both are troubling considering his job is literally to separate fact from fiction. It shows that he either can't tell the difference or he just doesn't care. No sane person would find that acceptable.
gbaji wrote:
But then again, some of us on the Right have seen a marked reluctance for established news sites to run stories that allege anything negative about politicians and other powerful people on the Left.
Then again some of you on the Right are simply more willing to accept fiction as fact than established news sources.
Allegory wrote:
You do this a lot, and you get called out for it some times, but I'll do so again.
It's not so much a learning curve as it is an intellectual free-fall you're dealing with.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#50 Dec 09 2016 at 5:57 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,709 posts
Allegory wrote:
It's not surprising, but it does appear you have a greater issue with Flynn being called out spreading lies rather than him for lying.


No. I have an issue with the selectivity of the crying about this. The mainstream media has been doing the exact same thing for years now. Democrats have been doing this for years now. But no one cried about it until now. That was my point.

Quote:
You do this a lot, and you get called out for it some times, but I'll do so again. Imagining your opponents are hypocrites in a hypothetical scenario and then admonishing them for being hypocrites in imagination land is exceptionally deluded. If you're going to criticize people, do it for things they've actually done, not for things you wish they would do to prove your contingent point.


That's a great idea. Now apply it to the language regarding General Flynn up above. Now do you see what I was getting at? Samira failed to address what Flynn actually did but instead lumped him into a larger group, made a vague statement about the behavior of that group, and condemned that.

It's the very double standard you just used that I'm talking about. Can you see it?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#51 Dec 09 2016 at 6:32 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,709 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Stick to just what he said and did.
He spread a story with zero verifiable information he found on an alt-right webpage that has been regularly shown to be full of crap. The only reason to do that is either he believed the story or believed the lie would cause damage to his opponent. Both are troubling considering his job is literally to separate fact from fiction. It shows that he either can't tell the difference or he just doesn't care. No sane person would find that acceptable.


Wow. Wait a minute. You're telling me that during an election, people might say pass along or suggest things that aren't true in order to help their candidate of choice win? OMG! Alert the presses, the dawn of time has called and has a scoop for you!

I'm certain that Sarah Palin is comforted by your position on this. As is every single Republican candidate for high office for the last 30 years. Where the heck have you been? The only difference is that when the Democrats do this, they get so-called "legitimate" news sources to write the speculative BS pieces that they quote from first. I'm not sure how you can think that's better. So if it's the NY Times writing about a rumor about someone, it's ok?

That's part of my point. The same "fake news" thing has been present in our "real news" sources for decades (at least).

Quote:
gbaji wrote:
But then again, some of us on the Right have seen a marked reluctance for established news sites to run stories that allege anything negative about politicians and other powerful people on the Left.
Then again some of you on the Right are simply more willing to accept fiction as fact than established news sources.


There's that expansion/contraction of groups thing again. I'm sure that "some on the right" are also serial killers. That has zero relevance to my statement though. I'm sure you recall the media going after the whole "Edwards has a mistress and a love child" story, right? Oh wait. They sat on that until he dropped out of the race. Or perhaps you recall how the media painfully ignored the whole bit about Reverend Wright's bigoted and anti-American sermons, first for 6 months when just rumors, and then still for ]]3 more months after the videos were on Youtube. They more or less had to be shamed into covering the story, and then it was the fastest freaking whitewash I've seen in my life. Or maybe you recall the totally unbiased "fact checking" by Candy Crowley in the 2nd debate in 2012? Cause that wasn't at all the media siding with the political Left? Or perhaps you've heard about the emails showing collusion between the Clinton campaign, the DNC, and members of the media to do everything from coordinating message to slipping debate questions to
Clinton?

You kinda can't blame conservatives for going to "fringe" sites for information because they know that's the only place they'll get any that isn't so totally biased towards the Left that it's laughable. Does that mean that "some on the Right" are going to fall for fake news? Sure. But just as the Enquirer is 90% BS, it does occasionally get a scoop that no one else in the media is picking up on, right? Same deal here.

And again, I can point to tons of "real news" that repeated fake rumors as well. I'm sure you recall the whole "Bush went AWOL" thing right? That totally came from a "fake news" source. Oh wait. That was freaking Dan Rather, on freaking CBS, on freaking 60 Minutes. It kinda doesn't get any more "legitimate journalism" than that, right? And in this case, it wasn't just repeating a fake rumor, it was repeating it, and when called on it, falsifying documents to coverup for the false facts you failed to fact check in the first place. And the lie still goes on with further whitewashing of the story.

At least when people go to these random sites on the internet, they might have some assumption that it's not "legitimate" news, and take what's on there with a grain of salt. Some wont, of course, but most will. I find that to be far less of a problem than our so-called "real news" being just as likely to promote false claims. Don't you? For me, I treat all news sources with a massive grain of salt. I assume that anything not clearly stated as an "fact" is not true. And even facts are questioned unless the source of the fact is revealed. But that's just me. I get that most people just trust what they read. But that trust is as likely to lead one to a false assumption when looking at the "real" versus "fake" news.

Just my opinion, but there it is anyway. This is just another round of alarmist BS IMO.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 46 All times are in CDT
Barudin314, Uglysasquatch, Anonymous Guests (44)