Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Reply To Thread

False FlagFollow

#1 Feb 25 2017 at 1:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,221 posts
More like Alternative News.

Thank you CPAC attendees, you gullible bastards.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#2 Feb 25 2017 at 2:02 AM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,281 posts
.5% of a bunch of Trump-humpers can recognize an Russian flag?

That number seems artificially high to me.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#3 Feb 25 2017 at 6:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,223 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
.5% of a bunch of Trump-humpers can recognize an Russian flag?

That number seems artificially high to me.


I was surprised, too. Still, an amusing troll effort.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#4 Feb 27 2017 at 4:49 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Pretty funny troll effort, I suppose. But honestly, given the volume of randomly designed red white and blue colored swag handed out at events like this, it's not really very difficult. Could do it at any event probably.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#5 Feb 27 2017 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
***
1,064 posts
Yeah, but it's only funny if the person being pranked has a reputation as a manchurian candidate.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#6 Feb 27 2017 at 7:01 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Kavekkk wrote:
Yeah, but it's only funny if the person being pranked has a reputation as a manchurian candidate.


It would be funnier if the people handing out the flags weren't also among the same set of people trying desperately to convince people that the target of the prank is a manchurian candidate. It's "funny" in the same vein as someone trying to spread rumors about someone having an affair going out and creating fake dating site profiles under said targets name so as to help perpetuate the rumor. Such antics really say more about those engaged in them than they do about the targets IMO.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#7 Feb 27 2017 at 7:32 PM Rating: Good
***
1,064 posts
Quote:
It would be funnier if the people handing out the flags weren't also among the same set of people trying desperately to convince people that the target of the prank is a manchurian candidate


That isn't one set of people, unless you mean 'people who don't like Trump'. People from McCain to left wing comedians have been spreading it, and otherwise have nothing in common.

Anyway, it's funny because his supporters were tricked into spreading the meme, thinking they were supporting him in doing so. Imagine Trump walking out to a sea of his supporters waaving Russian flags, that's hilarious. If Birthers had managed to get Democrats to wave the Kenyan flag in support of Obama that would have been funny for exactly the same reason. The people orchestrating the prank have nothing to do with why it's funny.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#8 Feb 27 2017 at 7:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,221 posts
Talking sideways here, but...
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#9 Feb 27 2017 at 8:00 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,566 posts
gbaji wrote:
Kavekkk wrote:
Yeah, but it's only funny if the person being pranked has a reputation as a manchurian candidate.


It would be funnier if the people handing out the flags weren't also among the same set of people trying desperately to convince people that the target of the prank is a manchurian candidate.

Disingenuous pranksters like George W. Bush.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#10 Feb 27 2017 at 8:38 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Kavekkk wrote:
Quote:
It would be funnier if the people handing out the flags weren't also among the same set of people trying desperately to convince people that the target of the prank is a manchurian candidate


That isn't one set of people, unless you mean 'people who don't like Trump'. People from McCain to left wing comedians have been spreading it, and otherwise have nothing in common.


No. There's "people who don't like Trump", and "people who are willing to do or say anything to delegitimize Trump". Folks like McCain and Bush are in the camp of "we're willing to investigate to see if any wrongdoing occurred". Folks like those who did this prank are in the "I don't care what the truth is, I want people to believe <insert conspiracy theory here>".

If the facts support the theory, then you don't have to create false impressions by doing things like tricking people at CPAC into waving Russian flags. The very act of doing so suggests someone who knows or strongly believes that there aren't sufficient actual facts to support the desired conspiracy theory, but really really want people to believe in said theory anyway. It's about creating the perception of something, in the absence of the reality of that thing.

Quote:
Anyway, it's funny because his supporters were tricked into spreading the meme, thinking they were supporting him in doing so. Imagine Trump walking out to a sea of his supporters waaving Russian flags, that's hilarious. If Birthers had managed to get Democrats to wave the Kenyan flag in support of Obama that would have been funny for exactly the same reason. The people orchestrating the prank have nothing to do with why it's funny.


Or maybe if the Chinese government had managed to trick the First Lady into agreeing to participate in a traditional dance that included waving around a pair of "communism red" banners. That would have been frickin hilarious! Right? I mean, surely you can get a bunch of random folks at CPAC to not realize the symbolism of what they're waving around, but no way could the Harvard educated wife of the President be fooled by such a thing.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#11 Feb 27 2017 at 8:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
If there's anyone's opinion I'm worried about, re: whether a prank against a bunch of conservatives was funny or not, it would be Gbaji's.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#12 Feb 27 2017 at 9:22 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Jophiel wrote:
If there's anyone's opinion I'm worried about, re: whether a prank against a bunch of conservatives was funny or not, it would be Gbaji's.


I didn't say it wasn't funny. I said that it's humor is somewhat degraded by the strained nature of the joke itself and frankly, the ease with which a similar joke could be played on any such audience. You get that it's not like the people at CPAC are required to be long standing card carrying Republicans, or even conservatives, right? And they certainly aren't required to be particularly politically savvy. I mean, these two got in after all. I know some college students who go to the darn thing, more or less on a lark, and not out of any particularly strong political views.

You hand out swag at these things, and people will take it. If said swag is something waveable with a prominent figure's name on it, a good percentage of the people you handed them to will wave them. Are you seriously arguing that if some conservatives had gone into some venue where Obama was speaking and handed out 1000 little Kenyan flags with "OBAMA" written on them, that the result would have been any different? I suppose the big difference is that conservatives tend to have a bit more class than to do stuff like that.

So yeah. Funny. But funny like getting people to slip on a banana peel funny. Sure, we laugh, but on some level we also realize that had we happened to be the one walking along at that moment, we'd have been the one who fell and everyone would be laughing at us. And that makes it a bit less funny. Well. Or it should anyway.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#13 Feb 27 2017 at 10:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,340 posts
swing and a miss by Gbaji
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#14 Feb 28 2017 at 12:10 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,221 posts
Gbaji is so unreasonably butthurt about this, for increasingly wacky reasons/
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#15 Feb 28 2017 at 1:46 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,064 posts
Don't worry, he doesn't support Trump.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#16 Feb 28 2017 at 2:05 AM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,281 posts
gbaji wrote:
I suppose the big difference is that conservatives tend to have a bit more class than to do stuff like that.


Insisting that an American citizen isn't one = classy.

Insisting that attendance at a church absolutely means that the atendee must naturally agree with every single thing that comes out of the preacher's mouth = classy.

Insisting that a forceful personality in a man "shows strength" but if a woman does it she's a bitch = classy.

Giving a no-bid, exclusive contract to the company of a highly placed member of the administration and then watching the money disappear into the companies account with no legal repercussions= super-classy

Screeching that the government should minimize interfering in the citizen's right to live their lives then pushing multiple agendas to do just that = classy beyond belief

Stay classy, conservatives!Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#17 Feb 28 2017 at 8:25 AM Rating: Good
******
49,668 posts
Flying American flags upside down because of Obama's reelection was quite classy.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#18 Feb 28 2017 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,221 posts
Kavekkk wrote:
Don't worry, he doesn't support Trump.


Thank you. You have set my mind at ease.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#19 Feb 28 2017 at 12:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Timelordwho wrote:
Gbaji is so unreasonably butthurt about this, for increasingly wacky reasons/

"I said it's funny. Now here's ten reasons why it's not really funny..."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#20 Feb 28 2017 at 2:59 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
I think Gbaji is angling for Spicer's job once he gets the boot.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#21 Mar 01 2017 at 8:28 AM Rating: Good
******
49,668 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
Gbaji is so unreasonably butthurt about this, for increasingly wacky reasons/
"I said it's funny. Now here's ten reasons why it's not really funny..."
Well, when your approved listening options are Dennis Miller, Victoria Jackson, and "Half Hour News Hour" ...
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#22 Mar 01 2017 at 9:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Don't be selling Mallard Fillmore short.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#23 Mar 01 2017 at 10:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
gbaji wrote:
Pretty funny troll effort, I suppose. But honestly, given the volume of randomly designed red white and blue colored swag handed out at events like this, it's not really very difficult. Could do it at any event probably.
Overused colors are totally overused. Try looking for a nation's flag that doesn't have at least one of those 3 colors. Pretty much doesn't happen. Yeah there are some weird outliers like Jamaica and Mauritania, but those are rare exceptions in a see of uninspired color schemes.

Why can't America be a trend-setter anymore? Can we really be great again if we're doing the same thing as nearly everyone else? These are the important questions the mainstream media is ignoring. Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#24 Mar 03 2017 at 5:39 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
gbaji wrote:
I suppose the big difference is that conservatives tend to have a bit more class than to do stuff like that.


Insisting that an American citizen isn't one = classy.


No clue what you're talking about here.

Quote:
Insisting that attendance at a church absolutely means that the atendee must naturally agree with every single thing that comes out of the preacher's mouth = classy.


Everything? No. But things that are a primary theme for that particular church and preacher? Yeah. In the exact same way that someone who's attending a KKK rally may not agree with every single thing said, but it's a good bet that he does agree in principle with the idea of white supremacy, right? If you choose, out of all the churches in the area, to attend a church that specifically preaches black liberation theology, it's a good bet that you yourself are an adherent to that philosophy.

Quote:
Insisting that a forceful personality in a man "shows strength" but if a woman does it she's a bitch = classy.


Ironically, this is far more prevalent on the left side of the political spectrum than on the right.

Quote:
Giving a no-bid, exclusive contract to the company of a highly placed member of the administration and then watching the money disappear into the companies account with no legal repercussions= super-classy


There are literally more incorrect statements in that sentence than correct.

Quote:
Screeching that the government should minimize interfering in the citizen's right to live their lives then pushing multiple agendas to do just that = classy beyond belief


Your definition of "interfering" mostly includes the government *not* doing things that you think it should. Which I find hilarious.

Quote:
Stay classy, conservatives!Smiley: thumbsup


Interesting that no where in your list is something like "show up at the other party's events, and intentionally do stuff to make the people attending there look foolish, dumb, do something that makes the speakers look bad, etc". You know things that actually show a lack of class. Taking a position and standing by it is one thing. Being so weak that the only way you think you can win is to go over to the other guy and make stuff up about him? That's a whole different thing.

let's make fun of misspelled signs. At least some of which are us showing up with deliberately misspelled signs, taking pictures of ourselves, and then posting it and claiming it's those other dumb people. Let's show up at Conservative events and start fights, so we can point out how violent and hateful conservative's are. Let's show up at Conservative events wearing offensive, racist, sexist, etc T-shirts and make sure to stand in front of the cameras so that everyone can see how racist, sexist, etc conservatives are. Let's show up at a Conservative event and hand out Russian flags with Trump's name on it, so we can show everyone that Trump really is connected to the Russian government.

See what these all have in common? A need to create a false impression of the other side. Which is what you do when you can't make your own side or position appealing. You have to go attack the other guy. And yeah, when you do that, it speaks more about you than the other guy, right?

Edited, Mar 3rd 2017 3:41pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#25 Mar 03 2017 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,281 posts
Really? You can't think of a prominent American that most conservatives repeatedly claimed wasn't American? Did your dope dealer drop a brick of cocaine on your head?

As usual, you just dodge and dance and ignore and handwave so you can keep claiming that the conservatives have the moral high ground. PROTIP: They don't.


PROTIP #2: I've told you about a jillion times I'm not a liberal. I get that you think anyone to the left of you must be a raging commie/socialist, but still. See, I'm aware that the left and the right do "bad" things. The reason I generally pick on the right is because of the massive hypocrisy they display on a regular basis. Hypocrisy you adamantly, stubbornly, religiously deny exists.

I'm sorry your soul is so empty. I'm saddened that you care so little for anything outside yourself. Perhaps, one day, you'll learn to value people as people and not things.


That's on you, though. Good luck.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#26 Mar 03 2017 at 8:15 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
Really? You can't think of a prominent American that most conservatives repeatedly claimed wasn't American? Did your dope dealer drop a brick of cocaine on your head?


No. And that fact might just maybe open your eyes to the fact that conservatives don't put the same weight on things that you think we do. I honestly had no clue who you were talking about in your previous post.

Um. But for the record, a small percentage of conservatives had some questions as to verification of Obama's natural born citizenship status, specifically and only in the context of meeting the constitutional requirements to hold the one and only office in the country which requires said status (ie: POTUS). Which is not at all to say they thought he was "not an American", as you claimed. Most (like myself) didn't doubt that he did meet the requirement, but felt that he had failed to provide sufficient documentation to verify that fact, once the question was raised. A small subset of that group were convinced that he didn't meet the requirement, and an even smaller subset of that group were convinced that he wasn't even a citizen.

So yeah. Forgive me for not leaping to the farther reaches of "nutter".

Quote:
As usual, you just dodge and dance and ignore and handwave so you can keep claiming that the conservatives have the moral high ground. PROTIP: They don't.


Yeah. We mostly do. The sheer effort expended to continually misrepresent our actual positions and actions by the Left is testament to that fact. How many threads did we have on this very subject? I was not once not clear about my position. I, in fact, took great pains to explain the difference between whether he was a citizen versus a natural born citizen, and why it mattered. But you just chucked that all out the window, didn't you?

Quote:
PROTIP #2: I've told you about a jillion times I'm not a liberal. I get that you think anyone to the left of you must be a raging commie/socialist, but still. See, I'm aware that the left and the right do "bad" things. The reason I generally pick on the right is because of the massive hypocrisy they display on a regular basis. Hypocrisy you adamantly, stubbornly, religiously deny exists.


Hypocrisy that only exists if you buy the strawman version of conservatives created by the Left. So you may not be a liberal, but you certainly buy their BS hook, line, and sinker.

Quote:
I'm sorry your soul is so empty. I'm saddened that you care so little for anything outside yourself. Perhaps, one day, you'll learn to value people as people and not things.


And here come the personal attacks. Right on schedule. It's like there's a script you follow or something:

1. Make wild accusation
2. When it's refuted, deny it and demand proof.
3. When proof is provided, argue it's not sufficient.
4. When even more proof and solid argument is provided, start calling the other guy names.


You can't counter the position so you attack the person. You really don't get that this only shows your own weakness, right? If you have a point to make, make it. If your strongest argument is to attack or make fun of the other guy, you've already lost. And if you had a decent amount of self reflection, you might just ask why you hold the position(s) you do in the first place.

Sigh...
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 59 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (59)