Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Time to give Trump Presidency it's own Thread.Follow

#1652 Aug 14 2018 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,615 posts
gbaji wrote:
Members of the FBI abusing their power to affect investigations
Welp.

You're a "shadow government" douche, now.


Nothing you ever say again has any validity.
____________________________
Smash wrote:
My next mixed metaphor will include chocolate cake.

#1653 Aug 15 2018 at 7:14 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,692 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
Nothing you ever say again has any validity.
The guy insisted that waitresses made more than Generals.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1654 Aug 15 2018 at 7:25 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,299 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Friar Bijou wrote:
Nothing you ever say again has any validity.
The guy insisted that waitresses made more than Generals.


My cousin was a waitress. She made a killing in tips each night. I really doubt she claimed it all in income too, from what she told me. Though... they were a lot of crumpled up ones. Maybe she wasn't actually a waitress...


Possibly NSFW, Boondocks Clip. Also foreign dub cause copyright issues.


Edited, Aug 15th 2018 9:27am by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1655 Aug 15 2018 at 8:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Seriously. The absolute worse case with the whole "Russian collusion" thing is that the Trump campaign somehow laundered political messaging through the... Russians?

If you haven't been following this at all, it's okay to just admit it and sit the discussion out. You don't HAVE to embarrass yourself with statements like this.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1656 Aug 15 2018 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,692 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Maybe she wasn't actually a waitress...
Got pictures? You know, for researching her ... waiting capabilities?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1657 Aug 15 2018 at 10:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
In more "tired of all this winning" news, PC case manufacturer CaseLabs has been driven out of business in large part due to trade war steel costs.
CaseLabs wrote:
We are very sad to announce that CaseLabs and its parent company will be closing permanently. We have been forced into bankruptcy and liquidation. The tariffs have played a major role raising prices by almost 80% (partly due to associated shortages), which cut deeply into our margins. The default of a large account added greatly to the problem. It hit us at the worst possible time. We reached out for a possible deal that would allow us to continue on and persevere through these difficult times, but in the end, it didn’t happen.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1658 Aug 15 2018 at 10:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,763 posts
Jophiel wrote:
In more "tired of all this winning" news, PC case manufacturer CaseLabs has been driven out of business in large part due to trade war steel costs.
CaseLabs wrote:
We are very sad to announce that CaseLabs and its parent company will be closing permanently. We have been forced into bankruptcy and liquidation. The tariffs have played a major role raising prices by almost 80% (partly due to associated shortages), which cut deeply into our margins. The default of a large account added greatly to the problem. It hit us at the worst possible time. We reached out for a possible deal that would allow us to continue on and persevere through these difficult times, but in the end, it didn’t happen.


The Orange Albino probably wrote:
Who cares, only Nerds, Losers and Democrats use computers
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#1659 Aug 16 2018 at 5:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Probably tweeted, you mean
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1660 Aug 16 2018 at 5:48 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,299 posts
Not to say I agree with the tariffs, but how secure was that company if it only took this short time to cause them to go under? Seems like they would have had other problems leading up to this as well.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1661 Aug 16 2018 at 5:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,240 posts
As the cases are generally aluminum, its likely price shocks resulting from those tariffs (Canada being the major foreign supplier to the US) rather than steel.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#1662 Aug 16 2018 at 6:20 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,299 posts
I understand the price increase. I work in the auto industry and our products are 100% aluminum. I think we average about 15,000 lbs of aluminum per hour, nearly 24/7 these days (dramatic increases in the last half a decade). Our COO in the last earnings report and projections, disclosed the projected raw material increases due to tariffs, with raw material coming from places like Canada and even Dubai (Dubai was one of the first to see the tariffs according to that report, actually surprised me we had product arriving from Dubai, before that report I think it was almost all Canada). When compared to the already steadily increasing costs of aluminum, especially now that many vehicles are switching to aluminum structural components, moving away from steel. (Mostly body weight reductions driving that these days, the big drive starting with Tesla and everyone following suit)

It's just that the time period we are talking about is very small here. Didn't take much to put that company under.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1663 Aug 16 2018 at 7:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Timelordwho wrote:
As the cases are generally aluminum, its likely price shocks resulting from those tariffs (Canada being the major foreign supplier to the US) rather than steel.

You're right. My last cases were steel so I assumed these were as well but the product descriptions say aluminum construction. Not that it changes the overall point, but my mistake.

The company states the tariffs as the primary reason for their going out of business. They are -- were -- a sort of boutique outfit for high end cases so I'd assume that their margins are tighter. But you're not going to be able to change the pricing on your $210 case to $320 and still expect to sell it. They also mention an account which defaulted on them which I'm sure didn't help but that doesn't change the fact that ultimately the materials were too expensive and unavailable as a result of the tariffs is listed as the primary cause. Also, it's not really all that quick of a time frame; we've had the tariffs for eight months now.
Tom's Hardware wrote:
Keating suggested that the tariffs began affecting the company in January. That tracks with announcements by the Trump administration, as well as when tariffs began on solar panels and washing machines. According to the Washington Post, steel and aluminum prices both increased dramatically afterwards. Keating said that CaseLabs materials went from a "high $1.50s per pound" in the fourth quarter of 2017 to "mid $2.80s now." Tom's Hardware reached out to the White House for comment on tariff effects on US companies, and we'll update this story if we hear back.


In more local news, the tariff effects are common talk in the construction industry since builders are seeing the price of steel jump dramatically and need to adjust existing budgets by eliminating work in other scopes: masonry, electric, glazing, site work, etc. It's just money bleeding out of the industry entirely since no one benefits from the high steel costs but everyone down the line gets hurt by it.

Edited, Aug 16th 2018 8:13am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1664 Aug 16 2018 at 7:50 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,692 posts
I mean, not really surprising when even Harley-Davidson is moving some of their production overseas.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1665 Aug 16 2018 at 7:59 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,299 posts
But the actual Steel and Aluminum tariffs following by retaliation didn't start until June. I find it hard to believe that the Solar Panel tariffs in January killed this case maker.

I question how much of it is the raw material cost increase, which continues to climb even without tariffs, and how much of it is just that they are a "boutique outfit for high end cases" in an industry flooded with cheap options. Aluminum has been steadily increasing, and even earlier this year it was almost impossible for us to get raw material on short noticed because of such high demand. We had a critical failure on one of our machines at the beginning of the year, and we could not get product to start up production on our second machine. (Each took different raw dimensions, even though final product was the same).

I'm doubtful of the company's longevity even without the tariffs. But how do you show otherwise, all the proof that is needed is a company rep saying "Yup, tariffs did it."

Edited, Aug 16th 2018 10:01am by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1666 Aug 16 2018 at 8:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The tariff price of aluminum increasing in June doesn't mean that distributors waited until June to start raising prices though. They could have had orders placed prior which already accounted for the tariff increase so the material suppliers didn't get burned. I know we were seeing price increases on steel before June.
Quote:
But how do you show otherwise, all the proof that is needed is a company rep saying "Yup, tariffs did it."

Well, the counter argument so far is mainly "Nuh uh, did not" which is an even harder sell since it's essentially saying "We know more about that guy's company than the company president does" (Keating being the company president and not a rep).

Edited, Aug 16th 2018 9:40am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1667 Aug 16 2018 at 9:24 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,299 posts
Seems to me to be more just a convenient excuse. Like when Unions killed the twinkies.


Edit: Hate adding an adjective and realizing there was an a/an change too.

Edited, Aug 16th 2018 11:35am by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1668 Aug 16 2018 at 9:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
TirithRR wrote:
Seems to me to be more just a convenient excuse.

Responses to that effect in the articles seem to be to be a knee-jerk deflection and unwillingness to admit that the tariffs could actually (surprise!) hurt businesses *shrug*

I mean, it's not as though they're based on any internal knowledge of the company but rather just "Nah, can't be" and working backwards from there to justify the "Can't be".
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1669 Aug 16 2018 at 2:15 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,299 posts
How large are your cases that a 1.30 dollar increase per pound of raw aluminum going into it causes the finished price to go up 110 dollars? Not to mention that 2.80 number seems awfully high even considering a 10% tariff on imported aluminum. We don't pay anywhere near that in raw product. That is like... 2-2.5x our raw costs last I had checked. It varies slightly by alloy. Some of our structural alloys are actually worth less per pound because they aren't as "pure".
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1670 Aug 16 2018 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,240 posts
Even if you consider the tariff price hike, a premium from uncertainty and shortages (things that should naturally rectify themselves as they are increasing the demand side) it's probably more a way to save face for management. It's probably easier to bond with a future employer by griping over disruptive tariffs/policy (which probably affects them as well) than saying they didn't run the business properly.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#1671 Aug 16 2018 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,763 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Even if you consider the tariff price hike, a premium from uncertainty and shortages (things that should naturally rectify themselves as they are increasing the demand side) it's probably more a way to save face for management. It's probably easier to bond with a future employer by griping over disruptive tariffs/policy (which probably affects them as well) than saying they didn't run the business properly.


Even taking all of the in to account, then putting it ostensibly aside, and also pulling wild conjecture out of my ass like so many of my esteemed colleagues on this internet chat portal, and it's crystal clear that it was 100% the work of the lizard men from the ice planet S'fre King Col IV taking over the industry, and forcing out the Olympians in Washington (yeah, why, what did you think it was named after?) as their day has passed.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#1672 Aug 16 2018 at 5:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,240 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
Even if you consider the tariff price hike, a premium from uncertainty and shortages (things that should naturally rectify themselves as they are increasing the demand side) it's probably more a way to save face for management. It's probably easier to bond with a future employer by griping over disruptive tariffs/policy (which probably affects them as well) than saying they didn't run the business properly.


Even taking all of the in to account, then putting it ostensibly aside, and also pulling wild conjecture out of my ass like so many of my esteemed colleagues on this internet chat portal, and it's crystal clear that it was 100% the work of the lizard men from the ice planet S'fre King Col IV taking over the industry, and forcing out the Olympians in Washington (yeah, why, what did you think it was named after?) as their day has passed.


I was under the impression that the lizard people are committed to the traditional electoral process. this sounds more like a Benegeserit scheme.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#1673 Aug 16 2018 at 5:29 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,628 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
Even if you consider the tariff price hike, a premium from uncertainty and shortages (things that should naturally rectify themselves as they are increasing the demand side) it's probably more a way to save face for management. It's probably easier to bond with a future employer by griping over disruptive tariffs/policy (which probably affects them as well) than saying they didn't run the business properly.


Even taking all of the in to account, then putting it ostensibly aside, and also pulling wild conjecture out of my ass like so many of my esteemed colleagues on this internet chat portal, and it's crystal clear that it was 100% the work of the lizard men from the ice planet S'fre King Col IV taking over the industry, and forcing out the Olympians in Washington (yeah, why, what did you think it was named after?) as their day has passed.


I was under the impression that the lizard people are committed to the traditional electoral process. this sounds more like a Benegeserit scheme.

trump does in fact resemble the bloated, disgusting form of Baron Harkonnen.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#1674 Aug 16 2018 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,299 posts
Lizard People is derogatory. I think the preferred term is Altrusian.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1675 Aug 16 2018 at 6:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,763 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Lizard People is derogatory. I think the preferred term is Altrusian.


Tell it to my grandpa, who was killed in the big one by your "Altrusian" lizard people, you whiney liberal snowflake SJW!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#1676 Aug 17 2018 at 12:53 AM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,615 posts
Jophiel wrote:
no one benefits from the high steel costs but everyone down the line gets hurt by it.
Call me an cynic, but I just assume that, in fact, some friends of Cheeto-boy are benefiting from it (and other tariff cost changes) quite handsomely.
____________________________
Smash wrote:
My next mixed metaphor will include chocolate cake.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 74 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (74)